Monday, February 1, 2010

A Day with the Bald Eagles

Thanks to the unusually warm January weather, I was fortunate to spend part of my afternoon attempting to capture a glimpse of the kings of the air – the Missouri Bald Eagles. Gossiping blackbirds, gusts of winds full of secrets and trickling streams filled my ears as my eyes ventured into the sky. My sense of sight reigned at the top of my priority list, but my sense of hearing was fighting for my attention. These sounds are a constant flow of communication. Dying to jump into the conversation, the wind continues to whisper a soft invitation more tempting than the invitations of summer.
The ripples of the Meramec stay uniform, never stepping out of line until just around the bend, a merry-go-round sucks the children in to play before they are quickly tugged back into their formation. Jealous, I sit back and watch this parade as it continues downstream, always aware of where it has been and where it is going. The water never doubts or questions its direction but trusts its banks and fellow streams. Jealousy is the only way to describe this feeling; jealous that we can’t have such a luxury. Standing over the water, a dim reflection shows hope that I can somehow be part of this paradise. The watery outlines of my silhouette are a promise between nature and man: We are always welcome here.




If only we can trust Mother Nature like Mother Nature trusts us. We act out of fear, misunderstanding and denial. The river acts out of trust, peace and freedom. We often take the river and its surroundings for granted, unearthing those promises by disguising its trust with ignorance and pride.

After an hour of waiting and the winter clouds killing the sunlight, I spotted a bright white dot in the distance start to grow. The closer it got, the more my heart pumped. Looking through the lens, I held my breath, focused on Baldie and hoped for the best. I caught him! Check these out…

The invitation is extended to everyone: Man and beast, rain and snow, sun and storm, draught and flood. Accept your invitation to enjoy the gossip of the outdoors this summer. Come down, see Baldie, and let Ozark Outdoors guide you to a perfect vacation away from the real world. We’re ready.

Share

1 comment:

  1. This was quite possibly my favorite day of the winter. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete